Simon says create ad groups in AdWords. Wait…who is Simon? (image source)
Get ahead of your online competition with relevant ad groups! Let’s examine the top 3 reasons you need to create ad groups in AdWords.
1) Quality Scores
- First, your ad group belongs in a relevant campaign. Take a strategic approach when naming your ad groups. This will also help you navigate through your campaigns and an effective time saver tool.
- If you want to pay less money for the same click, create well structured Ad Groups at a granular level. One keyword per ad group. This might seem like a lot of work, but your quality scores will pay off in the long run.
- Best of all, you’ll pay less per conversion with a higher quality score and you can rejoice!
2) Visitor Relevancy
- Message matching allows the user to have the full relevant experience from beginning to end.
- It’s important that each ad in the group corresponds to the distinct keyword you are bidding on, as well as the ad and than your landing page. This gives the visitor a relevant experience based on their search term. Search engines are looking for where the visitor is directed to once they click on your ad.
- Test several ads for each ad group, I suggest testing two ads at a time, so you can see which ad outperforms and than continue to test against the top performing ad and you will forever get better and better ad A/B testing your ads.
- If your visitors tend to use mobile devices, create ad specific to mobile users with mobile landing pages as well.
3) Outperforming Competition NOW!
- Be better than “those guys/girls” create ad groups based on relevant user search terms.
- Don’t be lazy…..be your own competition and continually improve your ad groups.
- Pause or delete ad groups that have high cost and low conversions.
- Compare your ad group quality score against the applicable campaigns average quality score and see where you can make improvements.
Latest posts by Stephanie Christensen (see all)
- Something Doesn’t Add Up….Ineligible Clicks in AdWords - August 6, 2014
- Get that Click Through Rate….Go Get It! - July 17, 2014
- Are You Using Ad Extensions? You Should Be! - May 28, 2014